[whatwg] Start position of media resources

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> >> The complexity of edited files is only really dealt with by embedded
> >> time-codes. ?A single segment is the beginning of a large can of worms;
> >> what do you want to have happen when there are two segments played
> >> consecutively? Following your logic, there would be a time-jump.
> >
> > Yeah I'm not really sure how to handle this case. (I imagine it could get
> > even worse with multiple frames having the same timecode). I guess time is
> > linearised starting from the first frame's timecode?
>
> I would suggest handling this as a playlist. It is the same fundamental problem.
> If there is a time reset, the timeline should also reset. Then there
> can be a prev/next file button for scanning.
> We haven't really solved the problem of having playlist references in
> <video> tags, so this is a whole discussion to itself IMHO.

Since I definitely don't want to add playlist functionality yet, I don't
think that this is necessarily the best way to solve this problem at this
time... it seems that requiring the browser to ensure that frames are
referenced by a time position that increases linearly from the start of
the clip is the better solution (though for such clips it does mean that
the underlying timecodes get lost).

I've added this requirement to the spec. In practice I don't expect this
will affect many people.