[whatwg] Nested optgroups

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Markus Ernst wrote:
>
>> I found a message in the list archives from July 2004, where Ian
>> announced to put nested optgroups back into the spec:
>> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-July/001200.html
>>
>> Anyway in the current spec, the optgroup element is not allowed inside
>> another optgroup element:
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-optgroup-element
>>
>> Has this been removed again since 2004? I did not find more on this in
>> the list archives.
>>

> Yeah, this was removed because we couldn't find a good way to get browsers
> to support it without breaking backwards compatibility with legacy content
> (which relies on the non-nesting parser behaviour).

Would there be a way to allow a new element to trigger this behavior
(maybe deprecating optgroup as well if an attribute on the new element
could indicate compactness)? Along the lines of expanding HTML more
toward regular applications, I would think this could help quite nicely
for building menu bars or the frequently used navigation bars
recommended by accessibility guidelines without JavaScript (CSS-only
ones are rare)...

Brett