[whatwg] Security risks of persistent background content (Re:Installed Apps)

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Michael Kozakewich <
mkozakewich at icosidodecahedron.com> wrote:

> How many applications do we expect any one user to have open? I would
> imagine one would do fine on the Taskbar or in the Notification Area, like
> other programs, but a manager would be good if a user had a great deal of
> applications running at once.

The Windows notification area isn't obtrusive enough for my security comfort
(even if you exclude the auto-icon-hiding stuff it does, which I don't
really understand). Taskbar/Dock is OK. A dedicated window is probably
better.

Whether you quit the main browser or not, the browser process would have to
> remain loaded, correct? Otherwise, it would be impossible to render pages.

Some browser process would have to remain loaded, yes, but that's true for
any approach that lets pages run persistently with Web APIs.

Rob
53:5-6]