[whatwg] Make Vorbis a baseline codec for <audio>

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Adam Shannon<ashannon1000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Remco <remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A few years ago, Vorbis as a baseline codec for <audio> was dismissed,
>> because it was expected that the audio codec agreed upon to be used
>> with <video> would also be used with <audio>. Now that agreement on a
>> codec for <video> is out of the question, Vorbis can again be
>> considered as a baseline codec for <audio>.
>>
>> To get the discussion started: a few reasons to require Vorbis for
>> <audio>:
>>
>> * De facto baseline codec PCM WAV is ridiculous for music and spoken
>> word - the major use cases of <audio>
>> * Vorbis is the best lossy audio codec
>> * Vorbis is widely adopted by major companies in portable media players
>> * Vorbis is royalty-free
>
> It has been tried but Apple will not?implement?it due to hardware
> limitations.

Hardware limitations for audio? I can understand that certain hardware
would not be powerful enough for video, but audio? I question the
browsing performance of such a device. ;) Also, as I said, it has been
implemented in countless portable devices. Hardware limitations cannot
be a concern.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Given the problem we had with the video codec, I would like to request
> that those of you interested in getting a standard audio codec do so by
> directly working with the browser vendors to get an agreement.

Isn't this the place where all browser vendors come together?

Remco