[whatwg] [html5] Image captions in FIGUREs

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Aryeh Gregor<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Nils Dagsson
> Moskopp<nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
>> Where is <legend> element styling lacking currently ?
>
> The element can't be styled in either Firefox 3.5 or recent WebKit
> because, according to my testing, it simply doesn't exist in the DOM.
> Any <legend> that's not in a <fieldset> is just ignored during
> parsing, apparently.

I'm confused by this - what exact FF build did you test in?  When I
try it in the current public 3.5, I get <legend> autowrapping itself
in a <fieldset>.

http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C!DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0A%3Ctitle%3ETest%3C%2Ftitle%3E%0A%3Cfigure%3E%0A%20%20Test%20figure%0A%20%20%3Clegend%3Etest%20legend%3C%2Flegend%3E%0A%3C%2Ffigure%3E

On the note of <legend> styling, currently a legend-in-fieldset isn't
handled by the standard CSS renderer *at all* in FF, last I heard, due
to the magic inherent in its display:
  * automatically positioning itself on top of the <fieldset>'s border
without using abspos (the fieldset would need to be relpos or similar
to allow this to work) regardless of where in the <fieldset> the
<legend> appears (this precludes use of margin to pull it upwards,
because it might not appear as the first child).
  * hiding the border of the fieldset behind it without hiding the
background of the fieldset, or any borders or padding of any
lower-layer elements.

~TJ