[whatwg] Rel and META values

Jeremy Keith wrote on 7/7/2009 5:32 AM:
> Meanwhile, back on the Rel values wiki page...
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions
>
> Can anyone help with either of my questions:
>
>> 1. Should I change all of the values derived from XFN from "proposal"
>> to "accepted" as they seem to fit this criteria?
>>
>> 2. I don't think passing the buck to the microformats community is
>> necessarily a good idea. There are perfectly  good values listed (e.g.
>> rel="accessibility") that would/should probably never become a
>> microformat but are still good semantic values. Will they really be
>> rejected outright?

I'm curious too, since the HTML5 draft itself says[1]:

-----
"This specification does not define how new values will get approved. It is expected that the Wiki will have a community that addresses this."
-----

So the verbiage at the bottom regarding how a status becomes "Accepted" appears to be incorrect.  There is no process currently in place to adopt any proposed rel value as Accepted.

The other issue is Mark Nottingham's Web Linking draft[2].  It section 6.2, it establishes its own Link Relation Type Registry and the process by which additional link relations are added.  It would seem to me that it would be prudent to have a single registry and process for both HTML5 and the Web Linking draft.

- Bil

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/history.html#other-link-types
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-06.txt