[whatwg] Error handling for MIME type parsing (canPlayType)

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>wrote:

> While implementing canPlayType I've found that Firefox/Safari/Chrome (and
> now Opera) all have different error handling in parsing the MIME types. RFC
> 2045[1] gives the BNF form, but it appears that no browser gives much weight
> to this.

In Firefox I just reused our existing MIME type parser. I'm not sure how
tightly that parser is constrained by Web compatibility quirks issues.

audio/x-wav codecs: the same as audio/x-unknown-type (i.e. "no" for Firefox)

Yes, that seems like a bug.

audio/x-wav; codecs=: same as audio/x-wav (unless we want this to mean "no
> codecs", in which case "no" would be more appropriate)

I interpret this as "no codecs". In that case, "probably" is correct, since
we support every codec in the list.

audio/x-wav; codecs=,: same as audio/x-wav (i.e. ignore broken codecs
> parameter)

I interpret this as two codecs, both whose name is the empty string. We
don't support that codec.

Has there been any work done on defining error handling for Content-Type
> parsing or the like?

That's a very good question, but I don't know the answer.

Rob
53:5-6]