[whatwg] "Fullscreenable" attribute.

On 13/7/09 11:06, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Alpha Omega wrote:
>> I think it would be useful to add "fullscreenable" (or more refined
>> name) attribute to arbitrary element, so users could be able to
>> full-screen DOM subtrees, that document author marked as
>> "fullscreenable".
>>
>> Usage: User choses area that he wants to fullscreen, peforms UA-specific
>> action there("go to fullscreen" in context menu in desktop browsers, or
>> gesture on mobile devices for example), UA goes up in DOM tree until it
>> founds "fullscreenable" attribute, and then "fullscreens" this subtree.
>> If "fullscreenable" attribute is not found, then it is UA authors
>> decision what to do - for example fullscreen entire page.

Should UAs always put users in control of this?

ie. everything in principle is "fullscreenable", but this indicator
would be a strong hint that this chunk of content makes special sense to
be treated in this manner.

>> Use case: Not only solves problem with<video>  tag, but also useful for
>> mobile UAs (users could use it to "zoom" to author defined parts, on
>> pages with complex layouts.), and for interactive webapps in general
>> IMHO.
>
> I think this would be an interesting idea. I haven't any idea what the UI
> would look like though. I recommend approaching vendors directly and
> getting their input and experimental implementations, as described here:
>
>     http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_the_spec.3F

I like the idea of being able to go full-screen. I'd encourage talking
to Web accessibility folk before going to far with a proposal /
implementation...

cheers,

Dan