[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:31:50 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Aryeh Gregor
> <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bw3c at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> Maybe you'd try testing all the video types you support, and
>> if one is "maybe" while another is "probably" you'd go with
>> "probably"?
>

> Right. Or you might have plugin-based fallback you can use if you get
> "maybe". Other authors with no plugin-based fallback would go ahead if
> they
> get "maybe".
>
> Programmers expect binary logic,
>> not ternary (look at the complaints about SQL's NULL).
>>

> I agree. In the past I argued for two boolean functions.
>
> Anyway, it's a little late now to change canPlayType more than we just
> did.
> There is already deployed content checking for "probably"/"maybe".

Not really, the spec isn't stable yet and all deployed content is still
experimental. We still have a chance to fix broken APIs (or live with them
for 100 years).

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer