[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a good reason to return the empty string rather than false? The
>> empty string seems very unhelpful to authors since it doesn't play nicely
>> with debugging prompts and is non-obvious to infer meaning from, which is
>> likely to confuse novices who are e.g. playing with the API in an
>> interactive console session.
>>

> Returning false makes it difficult to bind to languages other than JS. What
> would you write for the return type in IDL?

Is there any good reason to worry about languages other than javascript?
  Writing APIs that work well in the one language implemnented in web
browsers seems better than writing mediocre APIs that can be used in
many other languages. I'm not sure what is needed for IDL to cope with
this though.