[whatwg] setting location.hash property and browser reload

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Peter Michaux wrote:

> When setting the location.hash property, some older browsers reloaded
> the entire page. The newest versions of the major browsers doe not
> reload the page when setting location.hash. This seems to be now de
> facto standard behavior. Sites like Yahoo Maps! depends on the page not
> reloading when setting location.hash for a good user experience.
>
> I'm not aware of any standard guaranteeing there is no page reload when
> setting location.hash. Will HTML5 make such a guarantee? I cannot find
> anything in the spec.

HTML5 requires that there not be a reload. Setting location.hash
eventually (if you follow the admittedly convoluted definitions) is
equivalent to running the navigation algorithm:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#navigate

...which, in step 4, just scrolls and aborts the algorithm without
actually changing the active Document object.

HTH,