[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Kristof
Zelechovski<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> Regarding the fear of Trojan codecs: it would help if third-party plug-ins
> for codecs could be sandboxed so that they cannot have access to anything
> they do not have to access in order to do their job, and only via an API
> provided by the host.

historically people who want to write codec support want to do it in
DSP land on devices, and in DSP land on devices you can kill devices
very dead (among other interesting thing).

Sandboxing that way is basically impossible.

Now if you rule out DSP, you still have all the other problems
(general proliferation of codecs, finding them, keeping them
sandboxed, bandwidth to network/video).

I'm not saying I don't look forward to this, they're just notes.