[whatwg] Spellchecking mark III

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM, K?i?tof ?elechovski <krixel at wp.pl> wrote:

> Gmail can use
> 1. the localisation preferences chosen by the user in GMail configuration,
> 2. the localisation preferences chosen by the user in the browser
> configuration
> to determine the what language the user is likely to use in the subject
> field.
> (Generally, it should be the same language as the "Subject" label is in.)
> If the user incidentally sends a message in another language, the Web
> browser can recognize the language after the subject is typed, as described
> before.

But your original claim was that the web author, not the UA, should have the
ability to force a particular language for spellchecking -- and that the
"spellcheck" attribute was worthless outside this, as what authors needed
was a way to force the spellcheck _language_, not simply its presence.  Now
you seem to be reversing your comments and indicating that perhaps the UA
may end up knowing better what language to use (e.g. because the user types
in another language), which is what I was saying all along.  And none of
this gives any support for the idea that "spellcheck" as an attribute is not
useful for gmail!  Why should gmail have to try and guess what lanugage the
user will be typing emails in?  Isn't it instead desirable to tell the UA
"if you can figure out the right language here, then go ahead and spellcheck
this field" and leave everything else in the hands of the UA?

PK