[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:22:40 +0100, Shelley Powers
<shelleyp at burningbird.net> wrote:
> My apologies for not responding sooner to this thread. You see, one of
> the WhatWG working group members thought it would be fun to add a
> comment to my Stop Justifying RDF and RDFa web post, which caused the
> page to break. I am using XHTML at my site, because I want to
> incorporate inline SVG, in addition to RDFa. An unfortunate consequence
> of XHTML is its less than forgiving nature regarding playful pranks such
> as this.
>
> I'm assuming the WhatWG member thought the act was clever. It was,
> indeed. Three people emailed me to let me know the post was breaking
> while loading the page in a browser, and I made sure to note that such
> breakage was courtesy of a WhatWG member, who decided that perhaps I
> should just shut up, here and at my site, about the Important Work
> people(?) here are doing.
>
> Of course, the person only highlighted why it is so important that
> something such as RDFa, and SVG, and MathML, get a home in HTML5. XHTML
> is hard to support when you're allowing comments and external input.
> Typically my filters will catch the accidental input of crappy markup,
> but not the intentional. Not yet. I'm not an exerpt at markup, but I
> know more than the average person. And the average person most likely
> doesn't have my commitment, either.

http://annevankesteren.nl/2009/01/xml-sunday shows the commentor (who by
the way seems to be on your side in this debate) simply forgot to escape
<self-closed /> and then WordPress somehow messed up in an attempt to fix
it. I don't think anyone tries to make you "shut up".

(And if we, the evil WHATWG cabal, wanted to break your site, we would've
asked Philip` ;-))

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>