[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Shelley Powers
> <shelleyp at burningbird.net> wrote:
>
>> I propose that RDFa is the best solution to the use case Martin supplied,
>> and we've shown how it is not a disruptive solution to HTML5.
>>

> Others may differ, but my read is that the case is a strong one.  But
> I will caution you that a little patience is in order.  SVG is not a
> done deal yet.  I've been involved in a number of standards efforts,
> and I've never seen a case of "proposed on a Saturday morning, decided
> on a Saturday afternoon".  One demo is not conclusive.  Now you
> mention that there exists a number of libraries.  I think that's
> important.  Very important.  Possibly conclusive.

I am patient. Look at me? I make extensive use of both SVG and RDF --
that is the mark of a patient woman.
> But back to expectations.  I've seen references elsewhere to Ian being
> booked through the end of this quarter.  I may have misheard, but in
> any case, my point is the same: if this is awaiting something from
> Ian, it will be prioritized and dealt with accordingly.  If, however,
> some of the legwork is done for Ian, this may help accelerate the
> effort.

First of all, whatever happens has to happen with either vetting by the
RDF/RDFa folks, if not their active help. This is my way of saying, I'd
be willing to do much of the legwork, but I want to make I don't
represent RDFa incorrectly.

Secondly, my finances have been caught up in the current downturn, and
my first priority has to be on the hourly work and odd jobs I'm getting
to keep afloat. Which means that I can't always guarantee 20+ hours a
week on a task, nor can I travel. Anywhere.

But if both are acceptable conditions, I'm willing to help with tasks.
> Even little things may help a lot.  I know what I'm about to say may
> be unpopular, but I'll say it anyway: take a few good examples of RDFa
> and run them through Henri's validator.  The validator will helpfully
> indicate exactly what areas of the spec would need to be updated in
> order to accommodate RDFa.  The next step would be to take a look at
> those sections.  If the update is obvious and straightforward, perhaps
> nothing more is required.  But if not, researching into the options
> and making recommendations may help.

Tasks including this one.

Shelley