[whatwg] data-* [Was:Re: Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa]

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On 11/1/09 16:52, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:
>
>> Well, that's a chance, of course, but that's *not* RDFa as specified by
>> W3C; for instance, @property is specified as accepting _only_ CURIEs
>
> Good point; I hadn't spotted that.
>
>> It's the same with every possible existing custom (non-standard)
>> attributes and elements out there, since there is no standard for them,
>> and instead data-* has been created;
>
> Emphatically, data-* has been created for private use data encoding
> (basically for scripting purposes) not as a replacement for the existing
> practices of adding new elements and attributes to HTML without going
> through W3C/WHATWG.

It should, perhaps set alarm bells ringing that almost every time data-*
attributes come up, people suggest using them to publish data to the web
at large rather than as internal scripting hooks. Since the restrictions
on data-* are not machine checkable, even the majority of "standards
aware" authors are unlikely to heed them. Therefore the net effect of
the restriction will be to prevent conscientious standards bodies from
using data-* attributes in their specifications. It is quite possible
that popular technologies will arise from sources other than such
standards organisations and so use of data-* for more than just private
scripting may be inevitable.

It is also possible that features that start off as private scripting
hooks will evolve into data publishing features. This again would lead
to the natural breaking of the restriction of data-* attributes.

(I know I have said this before but I forget whether I posted it or just
discussed it on IRC.)