[whatwg] Fuzzbot (Firefox RDFa semantics processor)

Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:

> The concern is about every kind of metadata with respect to their
> possible uses; but, while it's been stated that Microforamts (for
> instance) don't require any purticular support by UAs (thus they're
> backward compatible), RDFa would be a completely new feature, thus
> html5
> specification should say what UAs are espected to do with such new
> attributes.

RDFa doesn't require any special support beyond the special support
that is required for Microformats. i.e. nothing. User agents are free
to ignore the RDFa attributes. In that sense, RDFa already "works" in
pretty much every existing browser, even going back to dinosaurs like
Mosaic and UdiWWW.

Agents are of course free to offer more than that. Look at what they
do with Microformats: Firefox for instance offers an API to handle
Microformats embedded on a page; Internet Explorer offers its "Web
Slices" feature.

> For what concerns html serialization, in particular, I'd consider
> some code like [...] which is rendered properly

Is it though? Try adding the following CSS:

	span[property="cal:summary"] { font-weight: bold; }

And you'll see that CSS doesn't cope with a missing ending tag in
that situation either.

If you miss out a non-optional end tag, then funny things will happen
- RDFa isn't immune to that problem, but neither is the DOM model,
CSS, microformats, or anything else that relies on knowing where
elements end. A better comparison would be a missing </p> tag, which
is actually allowed in HTML, and HTML-aware RDFa processors can
generally handle just fine.

> considering RDFa relies on namespaces (thus,
> adding RDFa attributes to HTML5 spec would require some features from
> xml extensibility to be added to html serialization).

RDFa *does not* rely on XML namespaces. RDFa relies on eight
attributes: about, rel, rev, property, datatype, content, resource
and typeof. It also relies on a CURIE prefix binding mechanism. In
XHTML and SVG, RDFa happens to use XML namespaces as this mechanism,
because they already existed and they were convenient. In non-XML
markup languages, the route to define CURIE prefixes is still to be
decided, though discussions tend to be leaning towards something like:

0.1/">
<address rel="foaf:maker" rev="foaf:made">This document was made by
rel="foaf:homepage" property="foaf:name">Joe Bloggs</a>.</address>

This discussion seems to be about "should/can RDFa work in HTML5?"
when in fact, RDFa already can and does work in HTML5 - there are
approaching a dozen interoperable implementations of RDFa, the
majority of which seem to handle non-XHTML HTML. Assuming that people
see value in RDFa, and assuming that the same people see value in
using HTML5, then these people will use RDFa in HTML5. The question
we should be discussing is not "should it work?" (because it already
does), but rather, "should it validate?"

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>