[whatwg] Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa

Kornel Lesi?ski ha scritto:
> On 09.01.2009, at 01:54, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:
>>
>> This is why I was thinking about somewhat "data-rdfa-about",
>> "data-rdfa-property", "data-rdfa-content" and so on, so that, for the
>> purposes of an RDFa processor working on top of HTML5 UAs
>
> One can also use <link rel="alternate" href="description.rdf">. I
> don't see why RDF metadata must be in the HTML document. It could be
> in a separated file, maybe embedded in RSS/Atom feeds (RSS1.0 is
> pretty close already).
>
> Websites that have a lot of useful data to share usually keep it in a
> database, and this allows them to easily generate RDF as separate
> documents without risk of getting out of sync with the HTML version.

In principle, I agree (also, Atom 1.0 embedding RDFa as dataRSS is the
base of SearchMonkey). But if people feel the need to embed metadata in
their documents and to use them as a distributed database, well, let's
give them a chance to do so. :-P

eRDF might be a working compromise, because it doesn't need any changes
to the spec; RDFa covers a wider range of RDF semantics, but requires
new attributes and also namespaces (a sort of hybrid beteween them might
avoid the need to bring namespaces - xmlns:* attributes - into html
serialization). My suggestion was meant as a mean to test RDFa in HTML
documents without changing the spec (perhaps in conjunction with
data-xmlns-*, data-xmlns-prefixes="rdfa foaf <whatever>" to "emulate"
namespaces - an ugly hack, I know, but at least would avoid changes to
html serialization, at least in a test phase) -- even if I think that
xml serialization should work better for such rdf metadata.

WBR, Alex

 Sponsor:
 Con Danone Activia, puoi vincere cellulari Nokia e Macbook Air. Scopri come
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8549&d=11-1