[whatwg] Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> And my further question to Ian is what are the criteria for deciding
> whether a case is sufficient.

The process is described here:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_the_spec.3F

Deciding whether we need to address a problem or set of use cases is a
judgement call. The more people a problem affects, the stronger the case
for fixing it.

Right now I'm still trying to work out what the problem is; most of the
discussions seem to be centering around RDF, RDFa, and microformats, which
are solutions, not problems. It has been asserted that problems exist, and
that they have characteristics for which RDFa is suitable as a solution,
but detailed descriptions of the problems themselves have been rather
lacking. Without a clear description of the problem(s) of relevance,
discussing solutions is meaningless, for we can't evaluate them.