[whatwg] Issues relating to the syntax of dates and times

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:09:24 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> The spec draws the line already -- it says that the date has to be in the
> proleptic Gregorian calendar, and that the year has to be greater than
> zero.

Reading the spec, I have to wonder: Does HTML5 need to specify as much as it does inline? Can't more of it be referenced to ISO 8601 or even better; RFC 3339? I really fancy how Atom (RFC 4287) has defined date constructs:

<http://www.atompub.org/rfc4287.html#date.constructs>

Does not RFC 3339 defined date and time in a satisfactory manner to use directly in HTML5? If there's prior discussion regarding this, I'd really appreciate a pointer. Thanks!

Asbj?rn Ulsberg         -=|=-          asbjorn at ulsberg.no
?He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away?