[whatwg] window.print() when printing is not supported

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:54:52 -0500
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:45:17 -0500, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:

> But some users apparently expect a "print"
> link of some type on the web page itself.

I expect links like that. But, only because not enough sites use print
stylesheets that I've lost faith in counting on them.

I can of course use print preview to find out if things are going to look
right. But, I find myself instead looking for a printer friendly page and
just printing it.

As for window.print(), what if it returns false if printing is not
supported? Then, authors that want to can use that and provide info *if*
the want to. Or, it could throw a not supported exception and one can
catch it and do something. Those sound better than just ignoring the
print() call.

--
Michael