[whatwg] window.print() when printing is not supported

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:54:00 +0200
Hi all,

currently
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/timers.html#printing
says that window.print() should prompt user to print the page, but that
"For instance, a kiosk browser could silently ignore any invocations of
the print() method."

A print button in web pages is quite common, and if pressing that
doesn't give any feedback (and the web page can't even detect if it
should give some feedback of missing printing), the user experience
isn't quite optimal.

So I think it *might* make sense to throw some error if printing isn't
supported. Or should browsers which don't support window.print() just
not have print() method in the window object? (problem is that I'd guess
everyone just expects .print() to be there)

-Olli