[whatwg] Renaming Interface Window

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:43:33 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, John J Barton wrote:

>> I mean that it is a Web IDL interface exposed in Web browsers as the
>> interface object that the global object has in its prototype chain.
>
> By "the global object", do you mean "window" in the Javascript sense?

"window" is a property of the global object (whose return value on getting
happens to be the WindowProxy object -- also known as the "outer window"
in some circles -- that proxies all operations to the global object).

So "yes and no", I guess.

> So it this correct:
> "The interface Window is exposed in Web browsers as properties of the global object 'window'?"

Not really. It's more the other way around.

> But since Javascript does not have a Window interface or any interface
> in fact, in what sense is the Window interface implemented by existing
> browsers? I understand that they have a 'window' object, but I don't
> understand that they have the Window interface.

The Window interface object (as defined by the Web IDL specification) is
what is on the global object's prototype chain in JavaScript.