[whatwg] Web API for speech recognition and synthesis

I blogged yesterday about this topic (including a text-to-speech demo using
HTML5 Audio and Google Translate's TTS service); the more relevant part for
this thread: <http://weston.ruter.net/projects/google-tts/>

I am really excited at the prospect of text-to-speech being made available
> on
> the Web! It's just too bad that fetching MP3s on an remote web service is
> the
> only standard way of doing so currently; modern operating systems all have
> TTS
> capabilities, so it's a shame that web apps and can't utilize them via
> client-side scripting. I posted to the WHATWG mailing list about such a
> Text-To-Speech (TTS) Web API for JavaScript, and I was directed to a recent
> thread about a Web API for speech recognition and synthesis.
>
> Perhaps there is some momentum building here? Having TTS available in the
> browser would boost accessibility for the seeing-impaired and improve
> usability
> for people on-the-go. TTS is just another technology that has traditionally
> been
> relegated to desktop applications, but as the open Web advances as the
> preferred
> platform for application development, it is an essential service to make
> available (as with Geolocation API, Device API, etc.). And besides, I want
> build TTS applications and my motto is: "If it can't be done on the open
> web,
> it's not worth doing at all"!

http://weston.ruter.net/projects/google-tts/

Weston