[whatwg] Quality Values for Media Source Elements

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:10:02 -0500
On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> Hugh Guiney <hugh.guiney at gmail.com> schrieb am Sat, 12 Dec 2009
> 21:32:30 -0500:
>> Ideally, I would like to be able to simply encode a few different
>> quality variations of the same file and serve each version to its
>> corresponding audience.
>
> The <source> element was invented for this.

No, <source> is used for providing entirely different formats, not
different files of the same format.  The browser will use the first
<source> it can play at all, so having multiple <source>s of the same
format is pointless.  You'd have to either serve different raw HTML to
begin with (e.g., different URLs for different qualities), or use JS
to switch the element's sources when the user changes the quality.
This seems to be more or less the same as what you need to do with
Flash today.