[whatwg] style sheet blocking scripts

From: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:53:18 -0800
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 12/9/09 3:06 PM, James Robinson wrote:
>
>>    On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com
>>    <mailto:jamesr at google.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> WebKit does not suspend script execution on requests for visual
>>> information if stylesheets have not loaded
>>>

>  In theory, this is unobservable to the page unless it queries the loaded
>> stylesheets
>> directly or a property derived from layout both of which should suspend
>> script execution.
>>

> I'm having a hard time reconciling the above two claims.

Hence the "in theory".  If WebKit did suspend script execution on requests
for information that pending stylesheets might influence, then theory would
match practice.  It currently does not (which I believe is contrary to what
the spec says).  I'm curious if this actually negatively impacts anyone in
the wild, as suspending script execution in the middle of a block to wait
for a network load is generally not ideal.

- James