[whatwg] Web API for speech recognition and synthesis

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:32:07 +0100, Bjorn Bringert <bringert at google.com>
wrote:

> We've been watching our colleagues build native apps that use speech
> recognition and speech synthesis, and would like to have JavaScript
> APIs that let us do the same in web apps. We are thinking about
> creating a lightweight and implementation-independent API that lets
> web apps use speech services. Is anyone else interested in that?
>
> Bjorn Bringert, David Singleton, Gummi Hafsteinsson

This exists already, but only Opera supports it, although there are
problems with the library we use for speech recognition.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml+voice/
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/add-voice-interactivity-to-your-site/

Would be nice to revive that specification and get vendor buy-in.

--

Jo?o Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/