[whatwg] Web API for speech recognition and synthesis

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Bjorn Bringert <bringert at google.com> wrote:
> I think that it would be best to extend the browser with a JavaScript
> speech API intended for use by web apps. That is, only web apps that
> use the speech API would have speech support. But it should be
> possible to use such an API to write browser extensions (using
> Greasemonkey, Chrome extensions etc) that allow speech control of the
> browser and speech synthesis of web page contents. Doing it the other
> way around seems like it would reduce the flexibility for web app
> developers.

Hmm.. I guess I misunderstood your original proposal.

Do you want the browser to expose an API that converts speech to text?
Or do you want the browser to expose access to the microphone so that
you can do speech to text convertion in javascript?

If the former, could you describe your use cases in more detail?

/ Jonas