[whatwg] Web API for speech recognition and synthesis

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 07:22:19 -0800
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Bjorn Bringert <bringert at google.com> wrote:
> We've been watching our colleagues build native apps that use speech
> recognition and speech synthesis, and would like to have JavaScript
> APIs that let us do the same in web apps. We are thinking about
> creating a lightweight and implementation-independent API that lets
> web apps use speech services. Is anyone else interested in that?
>
> Bjorn Bringert, David Singleton, Gummi Hafsteinsson

Short answer: Yes, very :)

Longer answer: APIs for accessing microphone and camera is something
that I think is very needed. There's several aspects to this, ranging
from simply uploading video/audio clips using an <input type=file>
element, to streaming APIs that allow video/audio conferancing using a
browser, to being able to do video/audio processing/playback inside
the browser.

There's a ton of work here to be done, anywhere you are willing to
help would be hugely appreciated.

/ Jonas