[whatwg] Storage mutex and cookies can lead to browser deadlock

Is there any data (or any way to collect the data) on how much of the web IE
and Chrome's current behavior has broken?  Given that there hasn't been
panic in the streets, I'm assuming approximately 0%?

Given that web developers have never had any guarantees for cookie
access/setting in terms of network communications and given that (it sounds
like) it won't break the web, maybe we should ditch the idea of locking
during cookie access/setting?