[whatwg] <object> behavior

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Andrew Oakley wrote:
> >> - Should the type attribute take precedence over the Content-Type header?
> >
> > No, I believe what the spec says here is the preferred behaviour.
> > Unless this is incompatible with legacy content, we should try to move
> > towards this behaviour.
>
> OK, should the spec mention the change that Boris Zbarsky said had been
> made for Gecko?  I guess this use makes up the majority of uses of
> <object> on the web (although the Content-Type header should be set to
> the same thing so it wouldn't normally matter).  Presumably this would
> also change the rules for when to instantiate a new plugin, given that
> the current rules are essentially "whenever a different plugin or data
> would be loaded".

I'm not sure exactly what change you mean. The spec already has some of
Gecko's behaviour (in particular the special-casing of certain MIME types
to enable sniffing), are there other changes you think we should include?

> I'm also confused about the criteria for creating a nested browsing context.
>
> > - If the resource type is an XML MIME type
> > - If the resource type is HTML
> > - If the resource type does not start with "image/"
>
> Does that mean:
> - xml_mime_type OR html OR not_image
>   this is the same as xml_mime_type OR not_image
> - xml_mime_type AND html AND not_image
>   this would be application/xhtml+xml, application/ce-html+xml etc. but
>   *not* text/html
> - (xml_mime_type OR html) AND not_image
>   makes sense but would certainly need clarification in the spec

The former. I've added an "or" and removed the (redundant) HTML line to
make this clearer.