[whatwg] Feature requests in WebSocket (Was: BWTP for WebSocket transfer protocol)

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I agree that these are very interesting features. Especially connection
> multiplexing is something that I think is a good idea, for the reasons
> you've mentioned elsewhere in this thread (multiple widgets on the same
> page).

How do you envisage multiplexing working? It's not clear to me what we
could do that would be easier to handle than just having the script
manually do the multiplexing at the application layer. What would the API
look like? What would the wire level look like?

> But even compression is nice if it was possible.

It's not clear to me that compression would be particularly useful for
short packets. I agree that it could be useful for bigger packets; maybe
when we support binary frames we should say that the frames are
compressed?