[whatwg] <object> behavior

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:05:26 -0400, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>> - Should <object>s exist all the time whether they are attached to the
>> document or not?
> Assuming you mean the plugins, as opposed to the elements themselves,
> then
> the way the spec is written, the plugin instantiates regardless of
> whether
> it is in the document or not.

Are you saying that in the following case (for the Netscape 6.4 WMP
plug-in (the liveconnect-supported one) for example):

<script>
     var obj = document.createElement("object");
     obj.setAttribute("type", "application/x-mplayer2");
     //document.documentElement.appendChild(obj);
     window.onload = function() {
         setTimeout(function() {
             alert(obj.SetFileName);
             //document.documentElement.removeChild(obj);
             //alert(obj.SetFileName);
         }, 10000);
     };
</script>

that .SetFileName() (a function the plug-in supports), will be accessible
even if the object hasn't been attached yet? Are you also saying that if
it is attached and you remove it from the document that SetFileName will
still be callable?

If so, that's not what happens in Opera. Pulling the object out of the
document nukes the plug-in instance and an instance isn't created until
you append to the document. Firefox behaves that way with plug-ins too.
And, I think that behavior is required for compat.

--
Michael