[whatwg] Installed Apps

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Mike Wilson <mikewse at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think Drew wanted handling of
> "live" objects, where each window gets access to the same
> concrete objects (possibly protected by private proxy
> objects) so the graph can be walked without cloning.

To be honest, I'm not really a good spokesperson for this issue, as most of
my thinking has been around shared workers which have all the same drawbacks
for data sharing that WebStorage has.

I was just saying that I understand the problem that the shared context is
trying to address. I personally think that part of the problem can be
overcome using the existing tools, although with more effort on the app side
than a simple shared context solution.

> Drew: are you thinking that the same object graph also
> makes up the data cache between sessions? If not, then
> persistence is not a must-have for this use case so the
> area of ideas could well expand outside webstorage.

I think ideally serialization would happen only when data needs to be
persisted. If I have a data structure that I want to share with other open
windows, I shouldn't have to persist it to accomplish this, and I certainly
shouldn't have to re-serialize it every time I want to make a minor change.

But, again, I'm just speaking in the abstract - the folks proposing shared
context (Dmitry) should probably chime in here as they've thought about this
problem much more than I have.

-atw