[whatwg] Start position of media resources

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, David Singer wrote:

> > Navigation outside the indicated range could be done in several ways -
> > it does not have to be through indicating the full length of the
> > resource in the timeline.
>
> surely.  but which one can the URL/page author expect?  If I pick an
> innocuous scene out of an R-rated movie and put it on a web page for
> children, can they easily see other parts of the movie or not?

I think the answer to this should be "yes". For example if someone on
reddit links to a particular part of a video, as a user I should trivially
(by dragging the scrubber) be able to see the context. I don't think we
should be changing the timeline just because the author set a start and
end position somehow.

(I'll respond to the rest of this thread in due course; I'm working on
<datagrid> right now.)