[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Tab expressed my thoughts on this issue much better than I ever could. I did
want to follow up with a couple of notes.

I think the #1 goal for incognito mode has to be "maximum compatibility" -
let sites continue to work, which kills options #1 & 2.
A secondary goal for incognito mode would be "don't let sites know the user
is in incognito mode" - this kills approach #1 and #5, and possibly #2
(depending on whether there are significant non-incognito use cases that
also have 0 local storage quota).

Given those goals, it seems like it leaves items #3 and #4 as the only
reasonable solutions. Yes, you can construct tortured scenarios where the
user enters data *while in incognito mode* which he expects to continue to
persist beyond incognito mode - I just don't see this as a serious problem.

-atw