[whatwg] Start position of media resources

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we want to display that there
> is some more context around the video, we should display the offset
> time. I personally would prefer the latter option, since it relates
> directly with the original resource.

This is what Firefox does at the moment for oggz-chop generated videos
which have these non-zero start times. The issue was brought to my
attention by a user that compared it to Safari using the XiphQT
plugin. In that case the time offset starts at zero apparently.
Possibly a difference in how XiphQT reports the time from the file.

> I doubt though we need another attribute on the element - the
> information is stored in the src URL, so should be retrieved from
> there IMHO.

In this case it is not stored in the src URL in a way the author of
the document can retrieve. An oggz-chopped file can be copied and
served with a normal filename for example. The time is embedded in the
Ogg file. There is no way for the author to retrieve it. Hence the
need for an attribute.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz