[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

Am Dienstag, den 30.09.2008, 08:25 -0700 schrieb Garrett Smith:
> (Nils, did you mean to put this on the list, or is this personal mail?)
I meant to put it on the list - didn't it go there ?

> >> If and until user enters text, the "alternate" text is displayed.
> >>
> >> The confusing part is that successfully rendered inputs would be
> >> rendered and still use the alt.
> >>
> >> The good part is that it would be (or should be) accessible for screen readers.
> > why not just use the title attribute for that ?
> >

> Like this:
>  <input type="text" placeholder="zip" title="zip">
>
> ?
>
> So when you mouse over the input, the yellow tooltip would pop up.
>
> That's annoying.
No, I meant to abolish the placeholder attribute alltogether and render
the title attribute as greyed-sut inside the search box instead, because
      * semantically, the title attribute conveys the same information.
      * it is already there in many pages.

Cheers,

Nils