[whatwg] Dealing with UI redress vulnerabilities inherent to the current web

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Hallvord R M Steen <hallvors at gmail.com>wrote:

> To give webmasters more ways to deal with this situation, I think we
> should implement the Access Control "Origin" HTTP-header only
> (assuming that it should refer to the top site in the frameset
> hierarchy).
>
> Reasoning:
>
> Sites may want to use any of several policies in a "somebody framed
> me" situation. For example, these are all policies a site may want to
> deploy:
>
> 1. nobody may frame my content
> 2. selected sites only may frame my content
> 3. anyone may frame my content but not re-use an existing session
> 4. anyone may frame my content
>
> Giving the site an "Origin: http://www.example.com" HTTP header in the
> intial request lets the backend implement any of these policies.
> Instead of responding with a payload that always includes some variant
> of the proposed "X-I-Do-Not-Want-To-Be-Framed-Across-Domains: yes"
> header, the site can send or redirect to a framebreaking "embedding
> forbidden" page for policy #1. It can do so selectively based on
> origin site and/or requested content for policy #2. It can kill
> existing cookies, void session and set new origin-specific cookies for
> policy #3.)

That's good to have and we should definitely do it, but there are a couple
of reasons "Same-Origin-Only-Unless-Access-Controls-Says-Otherwise" would be
useful as well:
-- a bit simpler to implement on the server
-- for privacy reasons some UAs in some situations might not want to expose
the origin to the IFRAME's server; allowing the origin check to happen on
the client would handle that

IMO the only UI precaution we can/should do if possible is to make
> transparent IFRAMEs "transparent to events" - basically un-focusable.

If you check for opacity:0, I can use opacity:0.01. At what level of opacity
would the IFRAME become transparent to events? And it would leave a whole
lot of other attacks wide open. So I don't think it's worth doing anything
here.

Rob
53:5-6]