[whatwg] Proposal: Allow block content inside label element

What is the equivalent of the LABEL control under Microsoft Windows?
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:08 AM
To: Brad Fults; Kristof Zelechovski; Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis; Matthew Paul
Thomas; Simon Pieters; Martin Atkins
Cc: WHAT-WG
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Allow block content inside label element

<http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-July/thread.html#1
> 366> - where Mr.Raymond's opinion unfortunately sank - but there is a
> possibility to overthrow it by making it void on a legal basis:
> The Microsoft Windows environment does not provide a native LABEL
control.*
> It there was one, the restriction of version 5 would perhaps apply.  But
you
> cannot tell how the native control behaves when it does not exist.  You
can
> assume it would redirect the focus to the input control if it existed, and
> introduce the feature to the browser upon that assumption. [...]

Windows clearly does have the equivalent of a label control, even if it
doesn't expose it as such. The behavior in HTML5, whether you call it a
change or a clarification, is the right thing for us to require.

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Kitof elechovski wrote:

> The speculative wording of HTML5 is actually less accurate because it
> refers to a platform control which need not exist at all.  The
> imperative wording of HTML4 is both clearer and more accurate.

The text in HTML5 now says "The label element's exact default presentation
and behavior, in particular what its activation behavior might be, if
anything, should match the platform's label behavior." which seems fine to
me.