[whatwg] Form and select seeding

I have not integrated the form and select seeding features that were
defined in WF2 into HTML5.

In the case of forms, my motivation was driven mostly by the desire to
drop the XML submission feature, which has not been popular, and which,
once removed, left the seeding being based on a somewhat dubious format. I
am also not convinced that the use cases that this feature solved are all
that common. Furthermore, they could easily be implemented in script or by
server-side prefilling, so the arguments in favour of it are pretty weak.

In the case of select seeding, the feature was based on another dubious
format (an XHTML file with a <select> root element) and the use cases
didn't seem especially compelling (the file could just be merged in on the
server side in static cases, and doing dynamic cases with half a dozen
lines of code instead of 1 isn't a big deal).

Basically both cases lacked compelling arguments in favour and had a
number of minor problems that added up.

Anyway, since these features are now gone, the feedback below is moot at
this point, so I haven't done anything with it.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Garrett Smith wrote:

> how about seeding a FORM's data with a JSON object?
>
> Is this a reasonable consideration?
>
> Will it work with File type elements?

Cheers,