[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

On Oct 15, 2008, at 8:03 PM, Eric Carlson wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Chris Double wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Anne van Kesteren
>> <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>>> That's not the question. The question is whether the looping
>>> attributes are
>>> needed at all. It seems that there's some desire for simple
>>> looping, e.g.
>>> background sounds. That does not require the five attributes the
>>> specification currently provides though. Rather, it requires one
>>> simple
>>> boolean attribute.
>>
>> I agree. I think the simple boolean attribute seems clearer and more
>> useful. Which attributes exactly are being considered for removal?
>> I'm
>> assuming these ones:
>>
>> playCount
>> loopStart
>> loopEnd
>> currentLoop
>>
>> start and end would remain, yes?
>>
>  After thinking about this, I'm not sure that limiting playback to a
> section of a media file will be used very often. A developer can
> easily script the same functionality as long as they don't use the
> default controller, so it seems to me that attributes for this
> aren't warranted.

I think they are useful if you want to:

a) Loop a fragment (might be useful for audio for the same reason
people chop up a single large image to use multiple background images)

b) Use the default controls and get the right behavior. This is pretty
important, I don't think we should require writing a full custom set
of media controls just to be able to play a fragment without getting
clearly bogus UI.

For these reasons I think start and end should remain at least in the
IDL interface.

I agree loopStart and loopEnd are overkill.

Regards,
Maciej