[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> As we discussed on IRC today, I think a valid use case for looping is
>>> background audio. It is possible to implement looping from script, but as
>>> someone else in this thread commented, it will be very difficult to do
>>> cleanly (eg. without artifacts).
>>
>> I think that's an excuse for poor coding. That should not influence
>> our decision making.
>> If it was impossible to implement, I would use it as an argument - but
>> not if it's just hard.
>> The implementation of a good codec is hard in the first instance. Lots
>> of things are hard, but do-able with some skill.
>> We should react more to user needs than programmer capabilities here.
>>
>  I think you misunderstood what I was (trying to) say. I mean that it is
> very difficult to implement looping cleanly in *JavaScript* because of
> callback latency, single threaded interpreters, etc.

Yes, sorry, I missed the "in script" part.

I still don't think it's that hard to do in javascript either. There
may be a pause between the file finishing playing and starting again
because the media subsystem has to finish decoding, possibly be
unloaded and reloaded and then re-load the codec setup before being
able to play it back again. But since this should be an interim
solution until the media subsystem is brought up-to-date, it's
probably acceptable.

Silvia.