[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

Jo?o Eiras wrote:
>> This usage is deprecated because it can not be generalized to all possible attribute names
>> We recommend the use of generic methods on the core Element interface for setting, getting and removing attributes.

[snip]

> Please, don't make such claim again, they are misleading, and clearly
> not realistic.

It may or may not be realistic, but when he says it is "deprecated"
Kristof is factually correct.

He linked to a Working Draft as a citation, but here's the final DOM
Level 1 Recommendation:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-html.html#ID-642250288

"HTML attributes are exposed as properties on the element object ? for
compatibility with "DOM Level 0". This usage is deprecated because it
can not be generalized to all possible attribute names, as is required
both for XML and potentially for future versions of HTML. We recommend
the use of generic methods on the core Element interface for setting,
getting and removing attributes."

Of course, the DOM parts of HTML5 (or whatever spec they end up in)
could effectively undeprecate this, if desired.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis