[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > > To do that, it would need to *capture* that information somewhere. I
> > > was assuming the whole point in the exercise was to avoid having to
> > > pop up an HTML based UI...
> >
> > Well if you don't have the credentials, you can't really login anyway.
>
> People are trained to configure credentials as value pairs (name,
> password). Anything more complex than that will be tricky to deploy in
> generic frameworks.

Nothing requires servers to do anything but username/password.

I don't really understand what you are asking here. Presumably in a system
where only username/password credentials are desired, only username/
password credentials will be used.

> > If the request is to be able to take an HTML form and display it to
> > the user as some other UI, then just apply the HTML semantics to the
> > form to get the UI out. That's exactly what HTML is _for_: encoding
> > media- and presentation-independent semantics.
>
> OK, so how do you tell a mount command that your credentials are more
> complex than username/password?

How do you tell a mount command that your credentials are a certificate?

This isn't an HTML issue.

> For that matter, how do UAs like FF's password manager handle cases like
> these?

Password managers vary in implementation, but some remember all fields,
others just the password field and one other heuristically-chosen field,
others bail on such forms.