[whatwg] Absent rev?

Martin McEvoy writes:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Martin McEvoy wrote:
> >
> > > (I am not criticizing just trying to understand it) surely all it
> > > needed was to define some rev values (the same as rel) and people
> > > will start using rev correctly?
> > >

> > That's backwards -- looking for a problem to fit the solution, not
> > looking for a solution to fit the problem
>
> No not really because If you look at the anyalasis(link above) made in
> 2005 rev=made (9th) is used more than, rel start, search, help, top,
> up,  author and a whole lot of other link relationships that have made
> their  way into HTML5, It doesn't make any sense?

There's a difference between adding an attribute and adding to the set
of values defined for an attribute; given rel's existence, the cost of
adding start, up, etc is quite possibly less than of adding rev.

There's also the misuse to consider.  If, say, rel=up is barely used but
when it is used it's generally used correctly then it's benign, and not
causing any harm.  Significant rev misuse has been identified; its
existence is confusing people into writing something they don't mean.

Smylers