[whatwg] attribute "media" on "script" element

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron at dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Friday 2008-11-14 11:37 +0100, Filippo Levizzani wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have "media" attribute in the SCRIPT element?
> >
> > Addmitted vaues would be the same of STYLE element (all, screen, print,
> > handheld ...)
>
> I'm not quite sure how this would work, since there are two things
> that seem incompatible:
>
>  * scripts are executed during parsing / content model construction

in theory the script would just be skipped (as there is no script tag at
all).
I don't know if the media type is known only at the end of model
construction... if so, then it would be a problem :-/

>  * whether a media attribute is true can change over time

but the same applies to style element , I guess

> This seems to imply that we'd have to go un-execute a script, or
> that we'd have to execute later something that was skipped earlier,
> even when that no longer makes sense.
>

> What was the actual use case you were trying to solve with this
> attribute?

For instance, I'd like to call SWFObject function (to replace html content
with flash) only if media=screen.
Other times there are js funcions that have no sense if a given style sheet
has not been applied to the page.

Filippo