[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

I'm also a bit concerned about how to interpret the yes, no and maybe
return values. The truthful answer is going to be "maybe" for all but
the obviously unsupport (application/x-ms-dos-executable) and the more
trivial formats (audio/wav).

When asking about application/ogg, this could mean 2 things:

1. "can I demux Ogg"
2. "can I demux Ogg and decode an unknown codec"

If to answer yes the browser must be certain that it can play back all
content which could have the requested mime type then the answer must
always be "maybe" for container formats, e.g. "video/avi",
"video/x-msvideo", "application/ogg", "video/mp4", "video/mpeg" and so
on. Only if the codecs parameter is used is it ever possible to anwer
"yes"

It's hardly ever possible to answer "no" either, unless the underlying
media framework explicitly doesn't support a  When faced with something
unrecognized the safest thing is to say "maybe".

To sum up, the answer is always "maybe". This is nice for implementors
who don't need to write a lot of code, but it's not useful.

To fix this, I would suggest the following:

If the mime type is just a container format then the browser may answer
"yes" if it knows that it supports at least some content in that format
(again, it's difficult without

--
Philip J?genstedt
Opera Software