[whatwg] HTML 5: Wording of "license" link type is too narrow

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Dave Hodder wrote:

> The scope of the "license" link type in section 4.12.3 seems too narrow
> to me.  It's presently described like this:
>
>     Indicates that the current document is covered by the copyright
>     license described by the referenced document.
>
> I think the word "copyright" should be removed, allowing other types of
> intellectual property licence to be specified as well.  As a use case,
> take for example a piece of documentation that is Apache-licensed:

>     terms of the <a rel="license"
>     ref="http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0">Apache License,
>     Version 2.0</a>.  Please note that Example&#8482; is a trademark
>     of Example.com Enterprises.</p>
>
> The license link not only refers to copyright law, but also trademark
> law and patent law.

Sure, the license can cover things other than copyright. But it is
primarily a copyright license, and that is the part that the rel="license"
keyword is referring to. The copyright license being part and parcel of a
bigger license isn't a problem, IMHO.

In particular, we don't want people to use rel=license to point to
trademark licenses or patent licenses that _aren't_ copyright licenses.

> On a related note, should the "copyright" keyword really be a synonym
> for "license"?  They seem to have distinct purposes to me:

>             content="Copyright 2009-2010 Example.com Enterprises">
>     <link rel=license
>         href="http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0"
>         type="text/html">

The namespace of the "name" and "rel" attributes is distinct. The
name=copyright above doesn't fall into the scope of the part of the spec
that defines rel=copyright as a synonym for rel=license.

Cheers,