[whatwg] Differences between application/xhtml+xml and application/xml

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Michael A. Puls II wrote:

> body.xhtml (served as application/xhtml+xml)
> body.xml (served as application/xml)
>
> With the latter, Firefox and Opera don't have document.body defined.
> Safari does though.
>
> Should Safari match Firefox and Opera or the other way around?

The HTML5 spec says that Safari is correct. However, none of the browsers
implement exactly what the spec requires, which is that all Document
objects implement all Document interfaces (SVGDocument, HTMLDocument,
etc).

> Either way, could you add a little comment in the spec saying that
> although application/xml might work, there are catches.

Well, we don't want to start listing the bugs in the spec, that's a losing
proposition. :-) The browsers (or the spec) should be fixed so that
everything matches.